Friday, June 7, 2013

Experiments with Dye

I have been telling myself for several years now that I should dye the color wheel, and I am delighted to report that I have done just that.  And what fun it was!  My intention was to combine my set of primary colors to create all of the secondary colors possible.  Below are the lovely primary colors shown on chopsticks.


Once I was finished I had over 100 blended colors on BFL roving.  I cut up the rovings to make small samples of each individual color.  I have since organized these colors swatches into color wheel order and assembled them in a notebook for future reference.  


The most difficult part of the entire project was waiting for the rovings to dry.  I am looking forward to spinning up these test rovings and plying them together to create a variety of lovely handspun yarns.  I am thinking that I will use these handspun yarns to weave a color gamp.


No comments:

Post a Comment