Friday, October 12, 2007

An introduction

As the title of this blog suggests, I am a dyer, spinner, and knitter. From time to time, I am also a crocheter. I like to work on multiple knitting and crochet projects at the same time to ensure that I always have simple projects that are portable, and more complicated projects that are best kept at home.

Earlier this year, La Petite Knitterie started to carry my handspun yarns. I am thrilled to have the opportunity share my creations with other fiber enthusiasts. Here is a taste of some of my handspun yarns:

A plethora of handspun yarns

Another dose of handspun yarns

More handspun yarns


When I am not spinning yarn, I can often be found tending to a dyepot. I use many different dyeing methods including handpainting and kettle dyeing. Last weekend, I kettle dyed these bluefaced leicester rovings in beautiful shades of apricot, orchid, lavender, and blue-green. If you like what you see, check out our Etsy shop.

BFL - Random Watercolors I

BFL - Random Watercolors II

BFL - Random Watercolors III


I am currently knitting a handspun vest (pattern by Amy Pryor), three pairs of socks (using my handdyed yarns), and a handspun hat (pattern by Lynne Vogel).

Hanspun vest


For the handspun vest, I decided to use a scrambled Fibonacci sequence to determine the number of rows per color. The handspun in this sweater includes many different natural color and dyed fibers, including bluefaced leicester, shetland, alpaca, kid mohair, angora, tussah silk, bombyx silk, and baby camel. Some of the dyed fibers in this sweater I purchased as rovings from Lori Lawson of Capistrano Fiber Arts Studio, and some of the rovings I dyed myself. I am really happy with the results, though I am not looking forward to weaving in all of the ends (I estimate there are about 200!). This project started as a sweater, and actually there are matching sleeves in my project bag, but a miscalculation of the row gauge has necessitated the conversion of the sweater to a vest. I just couldn't muster the courage to rip out the beautiful sleeves. And this is saying something, because I enjoy frogging projects that aren't working out properly for one reason or another. I am still thinking about what to do with the sleeves (they are truly breathtaking). Stay tuned for updates.

Emperor purple brocade sock


I am so excited about this sock for a couple of reasons. 1) I love the yarn. I dyed this superwash bluefaced leicester sock yarn using the hot pour method with dye colors ranging from orchid pink to dark purple. I am still pleasantly surprised with the results. 2) I love the way that the brocade stitch pattern is easy to work, and provides a subtle bumpy texture on the top of the sock. I can't wait to sport these with my Doc Martens around town. Also, this pattern with eventually be available in our Etsy shop.

Pumpkin spice fir cone sock


I am knitting this sock out of a very soft and buttery superfine alpaca yarn that I dyed in "Pumpkin Spice". The yarn is subtley variegated, which adds depth to the fir cone pattern. I have already started the second sock, and am hoping to finish them before I journey to Washington state to visit my family over the holidays. I know I will appreciate the warm goodness of alpaca on my perpetually cold feet! I am in the process of writing the pattern for this sock. It will soon be available in our Etsy shop.

Self-striping sock


This sock is the result of my first experiment with dyeing self-stiping yarn. After I read about dyeing self-striping sock yarns in Spin-Off magazine last year, my sweetie made me a warping board that is easily adjustable for me to try the process. And the best part is that I only used food coloring to dye the superwash merino yarn.

Handspun entrelac hat


In January of this year, I took an entrelac workshop from Lynne Vogel at La Petite Knitterie. It was a really great day filled with knitting and laughter. I picked up this pattern from Lynne, and am really glad that I did. I love entrelac! Anyway, I am using my handspun yarns for this hat. All of the yarns are natural colors of fibers including cashmere, bombyx silk, baby camel, tussah silk, angora, and merino.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment